Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Welcome Back!

It doesn't quite seem real yet that school opens tomorrow and students will come pouring through the doors.  I'm so excited to begin the 2012-2013 year with students in my new role as Interim Head of Middle School.  I can't wait to be able to interact with all students in the middle school, to head the new leadership program, and to still teach a few classes.  Mix that in with meeting with parents and other administrators, evaluating our curriculum and grading policies while exploring other options and it's sure to be a busy but exciting year!

I am looking upon this year as though I am a new student.  I have learned so much from working with Jim Eagen over the last 5 years but I know I still have so much to learn.  This summer has opened my eyes and reminded me what it is like to be new again and to feel lost at times.  Please be patient with me as I make this transition.  Know that my #1 concern is supporting all students to help them learn and grow through middle school.  If we all know this is the goal, hopefully we can find a way to compromise to make it happen.

I shared my goals for the year with faculty and I'll give a brief synopsis here.  I feel that sharing goals holds me accountable so feel free to share your goal as well in the comments section if you would like. 

1) Establish a solid leadership program for middle school students
2) Evaluate our current curriculum, acceleration, and grading policies
3) Research new grading, acceleration, and curriculum options to enhance our academic offerings
4) Support faculty as they try out new ideas in the classroom

Enjoy your year, and please contact me if there is anything I can help you with as we navigate these first few days of school, I can't wait!

No comments: