Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Great First Day!

I was so happy to see full hallways and hear students everywhere today.  Our day got off to a very warm start in the gym with the handshake ceremony but thanks to the chair of the board, Pete Carmen, we all learned shaking every teacher's hand on the first day "Is an MPH thing".  I loved being able to welcome every student back with a brief greeting and handshake.  It was a perfect way for me to get to see each and every student today.

The rest of the day continued from our opening ceremony with each of the students' day 1 and day 2 classes meeting for half an hour.  The day seemed to fly by with the shortened periods and with the exception of a few schedule changes, things went smoothly.

Today I was most proud of how our returning students welcomed the new students in the middle school.  We have over 20 new students in the middle school this year coming from as far away as China and South Korea!  Watching students show the new kids to classes and talk to them about their common interests was impressive.  At one point, I was about to introduce a new student to a teacher when an 8th grader beat me to it!  I love seeing how mature our students are and how comfortable they are interacting in new situations.  To me, this ease in all environments is part of what makes MPH special, it must be "an MPH thing"!

No comments: