Thursday, September 6, 2012

Being Social Media Savvy

Another successful day on the books in middle school!  Today was our first full day of classes and I loved seeing students excited about what they were learning.  One of my favorite things about working with kids is asking them at the end of the day what they learned that day and hearing them pour out a really interesting story!  I heard several of those as I waited in the breezeway with students today.

A colleague at school (French teacher Alex Leclercq) shared this article from Mashable with me today and I thought it was worth passing on.  It's entitled "12 Things Students Should Never Do on Social Media" and is worth sharing with your children if you get a chance.  The first one doesn't really apply to middle school students, but after that, I think these things are very important for students to know. 

Many of our middle schoolers aren't yet using social media, which makes this the perfect time to talk about what to put out there on the internet and what not to put out there.  It's scary to think that for middle school students, everything they put on the internet now will still be there when they apply to colleges and even begin looking for jobs!  We were all able to live a little more anonymously not too many years ago, but for students nowadays, the anonymity is gone thanks to the internet and social media.  The internet has brought us so many wonderful things, and can really transform education.  At the same time though, it can be a scary place without appropriate boundaries. 

We will be talking about most of these things in technology courses in middle school this year, but feel free to share the list with your child as well.  Let me know if I can help you with the conversation in any way, I'd love to be of assistance if necessary.

No comments: