Friday, October 12, 2012

Program Night

Thank you so much to all of you who came to Program Night last night.  I love getting to see everyone and hear how the start of the year is going for each family.

One of the things I talked about at Program Night is that we are re-evaluating the way we have done things in the past.  We want to make sure we are doing things because they are best for kids and best for the school, not just because "We have always done them that way".  Please feel free to share any thoughts you have on changes you think would be a good fit; I'm open to new ideas!

I also wanted to share the documents I handed out last night for those parents who weren't able to attend Program Night.

First is the PowerPoint presentation I gave.  It's pretty detailed with goals for the Middle School as well as new information, face of the Middle School, and upcoming important dates

I also handed out the Commitment to Community which is a document that has been discussed with all students in advisory and will be signed by the Middle School as a whole.  It reflects the way we want all Middle School students to strive to be their best in all pursuits.

I also handed out the Technology Tips Handout.  Many parents have asked me for some direction as they guide their child through all the new technology and social media.  There are some great tips in this on how to help.  Discussions will of course vary by family based on your level of comfort and values, but know that our new bullying policy does cover cyberbullying outside of school if the backlash comes into school.  Please talk with your child about what to post and what not to post as I continue to hear more and more about the negative consequences of this both in school and out.

Finally, there is the Parent Input Form to evaluate Program Night.  Please feel free to fill it out and drop it off or email it to me to help as evaluate what works for Program Night and what parents are looking to get out of it.

Thanks!

No comments: